Re: Cannot login

Un saludo,

Daniel Sutil

On Wed, Apr 7, 2010 at 1:34 PM, Daniel Sutil <daniel.sutil@gmail.com> wrote:
On Wed, Apr 7, 2010 at 1:25 PM, Smokejohn <smokejohn@gmail.com> wrote:

On Wed, Apr 7, 2010 at 2:18 PM, Daniel Sutil <daniel.sutil@gmail.com> wrote:

Un saludo,

Daniel Sutil

On Wed, Apr 7, 2010 at 1:17 PM, Smokejohn <smokejohn@gmail.com> wrote:

On Wed, Apr 7, 2010 at 2:07 PM, Daniel Sutil <daniel.sutil@gmail.com> wrote:

Un saludo,

Daniel Sutil

On Wed, Apr 7, 2010 at 1:00 PM, Smokejohn <smokejohn@gmail.com> wrote:

On Wed, Apr 7, 2010 at 1:35 PM, Daniel Sutil <daniel.sutil@gmail.com> wrote:

On Wed, Apr 7, 2010 at 12:15 PM, Smokejohn <smokejohn@gmail.com> wrote:

On Tue, Apr 6, 2010 at 11:53 PM, Klaus Becker <colonius@free.fr> wrote:
Le Mardi 06 Avril 2010 22:41:44, Daniel Sutil a écrit :
> Finally I applied the following workaround: I remove kdm and installed gdm.
> After that, I have no problem to login. I haven't investigated any further
> because I really don't know from where the problem comes, but now, maybe we
> have to undo the steps applied with the skype's solution to solve our
> problem.

Hi,

I had the same problem with kdm, but no problem with gdm.

cheers

Klaus

Hi. Installing gdm did not do the trick :(

You must uninstall the kdm service first and select in the session selector of gdm "kde". If you don't select the session type, get some errors.

I uninstalled kdm and selected kde as a session but I got the same message telling me that my session lasted lower than 10s and bla bla..

When doing startx as a normal user from console I get some errors like "xkb could not initialize" and "Xinit: no such file or directory" and "Xinit: Could not connect to xserver"....

Have you stopped the kdm first?

Yes I did stop kdm when I tried that. The strange thing is that if I login as root from console and do a startx then a kde session starts normally. If I do that as a normal user I get the errors..

Can you paste the errors?

When trying to login with gdm it has an option to view the .xsession-errors file. The error is mkdtmp: private folder browsing (something like that :P): Permission denied.

When I was using kdm and did a cat on the same file the second line just showed: Permission denied.

I checked the .Xauthority file and did chown to my user.

I remember that first time I try to execute the startx with my user I get some errors but not with root. The problem was that the /tmp directory doesn't have permissions to write with my user.

The correct permissions are:

cd /tmp

ls -ld

drwxrwxrwt  8 root root 12288 2010-04-07 13:12 .

Could you check it?

Some friend told me to purge kde and reinstall it. I don't think this will help. Do you think I should give it a try?

I tried that with no success :-(

If that didn't help you I will not bother..

Well yesterday before I sent the list an email I used google to find anything that would help. I found someone reporting that the permissions in /tmp and /var/tmp could be the problem. I checked both. Everything seemed fine :S  I will check again, just in case.....

Check the sticky bit.. is the important think.

I think is:

chmod 01777 /tmp
chmod 01777 /var/tmp

I have just remember that I deleted all contents of /tmp because some files has the wrong permissions....

I have slow remembering memory :-D