Re: Cannot login

On Tue, Apr 6, 2010 at 7:57 PM, Klaus Becker <colonius@free.fr> wrote:
Le Mardi 06 Avril 2010 18:35:51, John Kapnogiannis a écrit :
> Hello there. I got a debian testing installation and I currently cannot
> login in kde. I give my pass and instead of a proper kde session I get
> kdm's login screen again. I haven't done any upgrade but I did a really
> stupid thing: I hit the power button and turn the laptop off the hard
> way while it was in suspend mode. I tried googling but it gave me no
> usefull things.
>
> The .xsession-errors file in my home folder says Permission denied. I
> checked the permissions in /tmp and /var/tmp and everything seems fine.
> I also deleted the .kde folder. Login in as root and typing startx opens
> a kde session.
>
> Any ideas?
>
> PS: I did the instructions described in this page:
> https://developer.skype.com/jira/browse/SCL-510 in order to fix skype on
> me 64-bit installation, but I don't think it has something to do with my
> problem. I think something got wrong when I hit the power button. :(

Hi,

perhaps

#chown -R john /home/john

or any username you use ?

If this does'nt work, you can try to create a new user and then cope all your
files to /home/new-user.

Nope did not help. Adding a new user did not fix anything too. I tried login in a console and then startx and I got some errors about xkb not being able to get initialized. Strange....  So the thing is that no user except the root can start a kde session.