Re: Questions about building KDE from SVN

Hello,

On šeštadienis 20 Kovas 2010 11:32:54 Valerio Passini wrote:
> Dear Developers,
>
> I'm helping in testing the improvements Sebastian Trueg is making to
> nepomuk to fix a couple of bugs. This time, just patching kdebase-
> runtime seems to be not feasible: he asked me to build KDE from SVN but
> I know that this is going to break my system.
> What can I do at this point? Uninstalling KDE's  deb packages and then
> build and install KDE from sources is what comes to my mind
> Is there any other cleaner and easy way to do it?

It all depends which "svn" he wants you to build: branches/KDE/4.4/ or
trunk/KDE/. The former could probably be built with minor (if any) changes
(except version bump) to current packaging while the latter will probably need
more work. So for the former you can update orig tarball and build a couple of
new source packages (which you need) while for the latter better build from
sources.

You don't need to purge the whole distro KDE in order to build the whole
thing. Just install newer KDE to different prefix. Also consider using kdesvn-
build. However, it might be a bit tough to start&test that new KDE.

Btw, I have plans to update packages up to kdebase from branches/KDE/4.4 today
since they fix some nasty bugs I'm interested in. What is more, KDE SC 4.4.2
is going to be tagged in six days. qt-kde.debian.net users will probably get
it shortly after tagging since it is not an official archive.

> In the case I need to rebuild KDE completely, where I can find
> information about the dev packages I need to complete this task?

Build-Depends of KDE source packages for 4.4.x should be a very good hints.
E.g.

$ apt-cache showsrc kde4libs

> Which
> is the package that needs to be purged in order to completely remove KDE
> from my system?

libkdecore5 and kdelibs5. This will also remove all 3rd party KDE applications
though.

--
Modestas Vainius <modestas@vainius.eu>