Re: Amarok, KMix: how to set sound volume for external audio adapter?

On Wednesday 17 March 2010, Kenny Fairweather wrote:
> On 15/03/10 17:16, Michael Schuerig wrote:
> > After quite some time I've looked at Amarok again now that 2.3 has
> > made it into unstable. Somehow, I'm missing a way to set the sound
> > volume. I didn't find a volume slider in Amarok itself and KMix,
> > too, doesn't show any controls for my external Edirol UA-1EX sound
> > adapter.
>
> Click on the speaker, top right, to get the slider. Or scroll wheel
> over the icon.

Consistency may be for small minds, like mine, but is this a bit non-
obvious? I had noticed the Mute functionality alright. I don't get a
slider when I click on the speaker widget, rather, in order to set the
volume, I have to drag along the widget's border in a circle.
Thankfully, the scroll wheel does work too.

I'm not blaming you, of course. To the contrary, thanks for pointing out
how this thing works. Still, I can't help but notice that this widget
is, to my mind, exemplary of what has gone wrong in KDE 4 -- a
preference for coolness over solid functionality. As a programmer myself
I can easily understand how this comes about, especially in projects
that are done for fun, not money. As a user, however, I don't have to
like this.

Michael

--
Michael Schuerig