Re: automatic mounting of an encrypted harddrive

On Sun, Nov 08, 2009 at 13:01:36 +0100, Tobias Schula wrote:
> Am Samstag 07 November 2009 17:20:44 schrieb Florian Kulzer:

[...]

> > Blkid cannot identify the filesystem on sdc1. It should work like this
> > (my encrypted USB stick is /dev/sda1):
> >
> >   $ /sbin/blkid -p /dev/sda1
> >   /dev/sda1: UUID="60160a54-2d59-46f7-b46f-3490a767e820" VERSION="256"
> >  TYPE="crypto_LUKS" USAGE="crypto"
>
> Ah, I see, this is the output on my computer:
> 	# /sbin/blkid -p /dev/sdc1
> 	/dev/sdc1: ambivalent result (probably more filesystems on the device)

[ snip: util-linux, libblkid1 and libuuid1 are all up-to-date ]

> > Also, are you sure that you have a standard crypto_LUKS partition? How
> > did you set it up?
>
> I erased all data it previously contained:
> # dd if=/dev/urandom of=/dev/sdc1
>
> I set up the crypt device:
> # cryptsetup luksFormat /dev/sdc1
>
> Opening the device mapper:
> # cryptsetup luksOpen /dev/sdc1 crypt_backup
>
> Formating it with ext3:
> # mkfs.ext3 /dev/mapper/crypt_backup
>
> Mounting the file system:
> # mount /dev/mapper/crypt_backup /mnt
>
> Setting rights:
> # chown 1000:1000 /mnt
>
> Unmounting the file system:
> # umount /dev/mapper/crypt_backup
>
> Closing device mapper:
> # cryptsetup luksClose crypt_backup
>
> After these steps I was able to plug it in and the KDE device notifier showed
> me the new drive. But I didn't set it up in Debian but in Kubuntu if that's
> important.

I cannot find anything wrong with your procedure. I think the fact that
you used Kubunutu should not matter.

Please show me the partition table of the disk/stick and the beginning
of the LUKS partition, i.e. the output of:

  fdisk -l /dev/sdc

  hd -n 80 /dev/sdc1

--
Regards,            |