Re: kde 4.3.4 is building for unstable now ;-)

El Sábado 12 Diciembre 2009 18:30:51 usted escribió:
> > I'm using closed drivers 190.42 from Nvidia's site
>
> Could somebody tell me what's so attractive about that broken nvidia
> installer?

Yes, that it works at the first attempt besides not installing a bunch of packages I'm not going to use for anything else since all my required drivers are already in the kernel or perfectly packaged and up to date in the repos. I haven't ever needed module-assistant & co. since I admitted official Nvidia installer was making my life easier and switched to it.
It just works flawlessly: you execute the file, answer a coupe of questions, it even configures your xorg.conf, simple and effective; at least that's what I can say from my experience.

If Nvidia drivers "a la Debian" were so easy and quick to install and upgrade as ATI ones I'm sure almost everyone of us who use official drivers would switch to "a la Debian"'s without blinking (I know, I know ATI has been by far much more collaborative. I'm not blaming Debian guys, not even criticizing them; I totally believe it's Nvidia's fault, and Debian-Nvidia people are doing all the best they can), but official installer works better and is less complicated, at least, I repeat, in my case; don't know what others may have experienced, but I dare to guess thay have more or less a similar experience.