Re: KDE crash when effects & OpenGL enabled

El Viernes 16 Octubre 2009 00:28:22 usted escribió:
> That would be libgl1-mesa-dri to version 7.6-1. However, please note that the
> crash is semi-random. You might just have been lucky before even with 7.6
> installed.

You are totally right, I updated libgl1-mesa-dri and libgl1-mesa-glx to 7.6 from 7.5; so I wasn't lucky before, just had a non buggy driver installed.

The problem solves uninstalling the 7.6-1 version and reinstalling 7.5-1, and of course "telling" aptitude don't ever upgrade this package (till a new non buggy one is out, obviously).
This 7.5-1 version appears to have been removed from repositories. so I have had to install it, without dependecies issue at all, it from a rescue USB I make periodically and fortunately had this version.
Not that I am an unconditional desktop effects lover, but "present windows" or "desktop grid" are really handy and using Xrender made them too slow. Now I have fluent and smooth OpenGL effects again on an old Radeon X200M card, :D.

If someone has this same problem perhaps is possible to get "old" packages somewhere on the net (?) If not, take a look to your Debian CDs/USBs/whatever not too old, perhaps you have on them the working version.

From my modest opinion, and due to the big quantity of Radeon users, I think this latest buggy version shouldn't be in the Testing repos, but clearly in Unstable, and take 7.5 back to testing.

Regards.