Re: Perhaps a bit off topic?

Good question...

"In 2006, a branding issue developed when Mike Connor, representing
the Mozilla Corporation, requested that the Debian Project comply with
Mozilla standards for use of the Thunderbird trademark when
redistributing the Thunderbird software.[1][2] At issue were
modifications not approved by the Mozilla Foundation, when the name
for the software remained the same.
In 2006 the Debian Project subsequently rebranded the Mozilla Firefox
program,[3] and other software released by Mozilla, so that Debian
could continue to distribute the software with modifications
permitted, without being bound by the use of trademark requirements
that the Mozilla Foundation had required. The new names established by
Debian were Iceweasel for Mozilla Firefox, Icedove for Mozilla
Thunderbird, and Iceape for SeaMonkey. These changes were implemented
in the subsequent version of Debian (Etch). In July 2007, Iceowl, a
rebranded version of Mozilla Sunbird, was added to the unstable branch
of Debian.[4]"
FROM: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mozilla_software_rebranding

The key point isn't the copyright, but Debian's modifications in
Firefox -- as I see.

--
Arthur Pochmann Mulinari
Biblioteca da Escola Superior da Magistratura da Ajuris