Re: howto break up the desktops

On Sunday 06 September 2009 21:17:03 Sebastian Weisgerber wrote:
> On Sunday 06 September 2009 16:58:11 David Baron wrote:

> > > Way cool! Brings me back to windows-95 and desktop-plus in one of its
> > > later incarnations :-) Based on hooks and hacks, this did not make it
> > > to later windows versions but was fun while it lasted.
> > >
> > > So I tried this here. Zooming back in may or may not be evident or
> > > appear in the right place while playing with this. Thought I lost my
> > > first desktop but somehow got it back.
> > >
> > > OK, the UI could be improved. Setting wallpaper images takes too many
> > > steps and the caching of the images is not so stable (as I said, the
> > > extra step should not be needed at all).
> > >
> > > Now: I want to copy some icons and move some icons to another desktop.
> > > HOW?
> >
> > Meanwhile, with much effort and embarassment, I have set things back to
> > one desktop background/icons for all. This is very promising but also
> > very flakey and the zooming and what becomes the factual desktop1,2,3...
> > is very unstable and unreliable.
>
> Hm no problems here. Do you use 3D-Desktop?
No. I am compositing but with xrender. The old matrox is doing DRI but only I
and a few older games know this :-)

> If you don't like Zooming in and out, you could still use the classic
>  Desktoppager in the Panel or as Widget on the Desktop? Or
>  Keyboardshortcuts.
The zooming is what is flakey. If I can configure this without it, I might
succeed in using it. How do I move/copy icons (since no option is presented,
such as "move to desktop" or "show on all desktops".

This is an older PIII 600mhz box with 750mb RAM. May not be up to the
challenge?