Re: OSX .v. KDE (and not in 'that' way)

On Tuesday, 2009-09-01, Modestas Vainius wrote:
> Hello,
>
> On antradienis 01 Rugsėjis 2009 17:24:06 jedd wrote:
> >  This is a thoughtful discussion on the OSX release cycle.
> >
> >  http://arstechnica.com/apple/reviews/2009/08/mac-os-x-10-6.ars
> >
> >  There's doubtless been much talk elsewhere on the subject of
> >  OSX's 'no new features' approach in their latest release .. but
> >  how great would it be if KDE 4.4 embraced this mindset?
>
> It would be great but I'm afraid that would never work. Fixing bugs is
> boring and you can't force volunteers to do it (contrary to paid
> developers).

Well, first, I wouldn't reduce this to "boring" and "volunteers".
Bugfixing is boring for paid developers as well, not even talking about
writing papers.

I also don't get the reference about KDE4.4
Some of the KDE release don't add lots of user side features but similarily to
the newest OS X release concentrate on internal improvements and things for
developers.

Sometimes the pure use of these improvements over whatever has been used
before to achieve a certain functionality indirectly includes new
possibilities for users without those new possibilities being the target of
the actual modification.

Of course it would be possible to just talk about the changes for developers
and conveniently forget about the immediate results for users and then add
those conveniently forgotten things to the next versions press release, but
what good would that do?

So I don't think that it would be benefitial to mimick Apple on filtering
facts just to fit into a specific targetted release motto.

Cheers,
Kevin