Re: Konqueror cannot verify certificates

Jesús M. Navarro:
> On Sunday 30 August 2009 17:34:03 Dietz Pröpper wrote:
> > Michael Schuerig:
> > [ssl trouble]
> >
> > > I'm running KDE 4.3 and my system is an up-to-date Debian/unstable.
> > > Does anyone have an idea what might be going wrong here?
> >
> > I fear, ssl is severely broken in 4.3. Perhaps they'll fix it in the
> > next release (if they find time apart from producing top priority eye
> > candy...)
>
> Which rises the question: why is KDE 4.x on Sid when it still is
> obviously not ready for production?  Wouldn't it be better fitted in
> Experimental?

4.2.2 was much more useable iirc at least regarding the konqueror part.
And there seem to be some really awful bugs in khtml, but bug reports
are basically ignored.
One example, Akregator uses khtml functionality and explicitely disables
plugin loading (at least there is a line in the article display source that
looks like.) But regardless of this, akregator spawns nspluginviewer
processes which looks as that the plugin stuff in khtml is severely broken.
My respective bug report dates back to Jan or Feb 2009.

> I mean, if Squeeze were to froze tomorrow, KDE 4.x would have no chance
> to be a competitor for KDE 3.x (which, by the way, I think is not

KDE 3 is dead. Really.

> avaliable on Sid anymore); why is then on Sid, where only integration
> efforts (not app-level bug-squashing) are meant to happen?

Don't know. But I'll look at that mess called KDE4 für some more weeks and
switch to something sane then. (And I've been using KDE since 2001 and do
not really like Gnome.)

<rant>
I really love all those cool plasmoids. It's really fun to play a little
with them and to remove most of them after the gaming factor is over (sorry
kde guys but I need my machine as a tool for work and not as tool to
attract the ladies ;-).
But every release gives more of that eye candy bullshit and social
networking features and no one seems to care for possibly bad
infrastructure bugs, which comes as no surprise coz doing infrastructure is
much less sexy than building eye candy.
</rant>

> I don't mean this to exactly be a KDE-only question but more of a
> Debian-as-a-project one.

There you have to ask someone more adept ;-).