Re: Plasma Just Sits There

On Wed, Aug 26, 2009 at 9:19 AM, David Baron<d_baron@012.net.il> wrote:
>>Rebooted this morning and kde came up with a blank screen. I can run anything
>>I want using yakuake. If I restart kmail, I have that visible and I can us
>>that as well. No plasma, no panel.
>
>>Trying to start up in a terminal session from another desktoop (oh, yes,
>>there are such animals!), I get an interminable list of nepomuk/akonadi
>>notices. I tried removing akonadi but that did not help.
>
>>I actually have kicker up right now so I have menus.
>
>>Now, I had restarted X and kdm after upgrading some packages yesterday and it
>>worked fine. Also, my wife's desktop comes up immediately without a hitch. So
>>... what gives? Wait for next upgrade? Help :-)
>
> Maybe relevant: Conspicuous by it absence in the configuration dialogs--
> background colors/patterns/wallpapers! Plasma if getting to the point where it
> would display a mis-sized version of the wallpaper (including some of the
> icons!) and then stops, displaying nothing.
>

> --

When plasma don't load I try the following steps

* killall plasma-desktop and restart it (sometimes a previous instance
didn't close cleanly and dbus is trying to contact it and obviouly
fail)
* restart dbus/hal (after an update and they were restarted some
features from plasma stopped working)
* finally once no matter what I've done plasma didn't want to come up,
in the end I've to remove all plasma settings
~/.kde/share/config/plasma* (make a backup first!) it seems that
somehow they were corrupt and/or a plasmoid didn't load correctly.

Regards,
Ismael