Re: Pulseaudio and its Daemons

On Thursday, 2009-08-20, David Baron wrote:
> KDE 4.3 comes up with pulseaudio whether I want it or not. If I were to use
> it, I need to start it with options other than the default used, I
> sincerely believe.

Which package did you install that depends on Pulseaudio?
Can't you just remove it if you have mixing capabilities elsewhere (driver,
hardware, etc)?

> Problem is that, as I have stated, an instance of hald and dbus, owned by
> haldaemon and messageboxd.., are started with it. These bog down the
> system. Plasma-desktop will be taking > 30%, the daemns 10-20%, this idle.

I think the system bus D-Bus and HAL are started through the init scripts.
After all they are system daemons, not user session ones.

> WIthout these daemons, pulseaudio will not start and there may be
> difficulties restarting kde as well. I think this needs to be brought under
> control, huh?

Certain features will not work if they require interaction with system
components (powermanagement settings, network settings, etc), but there should
be not problem starting KDE.

Cheers,
Kevin