More 4.3 Xorg Problems

To get decent desktop response, I changed from openGL ot xrender. This
restored compositing and seems OK. I cannot go back to openGL!

I was experimenting with a ATI mach64. I go the dri working. However, glxgears
starts off, well for this dinosaur 700 or so. The next time I run it will show
450. Glxgears and any direct-rendering game flickers and stumbles, even if it
moves correctly.

I thought it was the ATI so I replaced the Matrox dinosaur, reinstalled the
kernel to straighten out the depmods, and rebooted.

Glxgears behaves similarly. Starts out 600+, next time 450. Games stilll
flicker. I cannot go back to openGL for plasma. Glxinfo has direct rendering
off although Xorg.0.log has it on.

So the problem was not the ATI card but an extension of previously noted
problems with plasma-desktop, compositing, hald, xorg, etc. posted on this
list (test games were not run since updating to 4.3).

What's going on? File bugs on what packages?