Very Worrysome Episode

After running some Java app, closing it, but this is irrelevant--plasma slowed
down to a crawl. Plasma-desktop was taking a load of CPU (right now it is
taking 22% but it is working). Also those messagb/haldaemon daemons (not the
user instances) were also out of line. Eventually, X would freeze up.
Switching Alt/Ctrl/F1 would freeze X as well. Hard reboots were needed to get
the desktop to work again, but the problem repeated.

I downgraded hal and hal-info to testing. This did not cure it.
I downgraded x11-common to testing (failing to downgrade xserver-xorg-core
because of changed dependencies). This seems to have quieted things down. At
least I can use kde4.3

The new plasma-desktop has that defeated compositing that posters are
complaining  of. Cannot restart that. Whether this is relevant to the above
catastrophe, I do not know.

As of 4.3, the desktop comes up with the wallpaper wrong size and icons
misplaced, then refreshes, eventually to normal. The panel takes an age to
appear and populate. KMix needs to be restarted to get on the panel (not new
to 4.3). Sometimes kxkbd as well.

Otherwise, 4.3 is great!