Re: Current problems (ie. help sought from the brains trust)

On Sunday 02 August 2009 07:54:17 am jedd wrote:
>  Howdi,
>
>  Okay, first up, 2.4.2 is much much better than 2.4.2, and part
> of that for me was shifting back to an nVidia grunty desktop,
> from an intel-chipset laptop.
>
>  The following are all suffixed with a '... anyone else seeing
> this, and/or have any ideas on how to resolve?'.
>

>  Sometime in the last several days, an update to unstable (looks
>  like only some xserver bits and libraries I don't recognise)
> causes my desktop to lockup briefly, plasma/kwin crash, usually
> on flip-box task-switching (alt-tab).
>

>  File-open dialogs now don't respect the single-click to navigate
>  thru directories, select files, etc.  This seemed to happen a
> few weeks back I think.
>

>  Amarok 2 hit me, though this is possibly my own fault.  It
> crashes consistently(!) every time I let it run for a few
> minutes, and it looks like it's about 3-5% of the way through
> indexing my audio collection.  I fear this means it's a one-way
> street from the last version, short of snotting the amarok db and
> pushing back to testing versions of amarok.  Audio collection is
> 93GB (1200 dirs, 17000 files, on a dm-crypted local fs).
>
>  It also seems desperately eager to use gstreamer, which is
> installed on this box, but doesn't produce any actual noise (from
> the few minutes at a time that I can experiment with it).
>

>  That'll do for now  -- as usual, many thanks to anyone who can
>  at least empathise or even better, offer some answers.  ;)
>
>  Jedd.

With respect to sound problems on my Slackware system I had to
first deal with the alsamixer settings from the command line and
then free up some permissions in /dev.   Whether this helps or not
on your dissimilar system I have no idea.  I use KDE 3.5 or when on
a KDE 4 system I revert to the classic 3.5 layout. The KDE 4 layout
verges on the silly IMO.

--
John Culleton
Create Book Covers with Scribus/e-book $5.95