Surround sound from dragon player

Hello,

Has anyone succeeded in getting surround sound (Dolby digital or DTS)  via
S/PDIF to a home cinema audio system from dragon player?

I *do* get surround sound from VLC player so there seems to be no fundamental
problem in my setup. Same is true if  I play directly from xine.

The sound hardware is an onboard VIA hda-intel chip with an ALC888 mixer, and
I'm using xine only as a backend.

By default, System settings only shows "HDA VIA VT82xx (ALC888 Analog)", but '
show advanced devices' also brings up   ...AlC888 Digital and '..ALC888
Digital (IEC958 (S/PDIF Digital Audio Output). If select any of these and
press the 'test' button sound comes out of my speakers. So they seem to be
working from kde4 also.

However when I play something with dragon player I only get stereo output. It
doen't matter which device I set as the preferred device, whatever I do, get
only stereo sound. Same applies

I googled around and there seem to be more people asking the same, but I
haven't seen any answers.

Is this a know problem?

Regards,
Gerrit Jan