Re: Translations lost on upgrade to KDE4

On Wed, Jun 03, 2009 at 08:13:18AM +0200, Patrice Pillot wrote:
> Ana Guerrero a écrit :
> > On Tue, Jun 02, 2009 at 09:08:30PM +0200, Patrice Pillot wrote:
> >> If there is no objection from the maintainers on this list I will file a
> >> bug tomorrow against kde-standard - I can't think about a more
> >> appropriate package since kde-l10n-** packages don't have rdepends at
> >> all and I don't feel like filing against each and every of those ;-)
> > File a bug about what?
> > You have to choose here kde3's translations or kde4's, kde3 and kde4 have been
> > never been co-installable.
>
> Ana,
>
> As you can see on this page
> http://packages.debian.org/search?keywords=kspread , there are kde3 apps
> that are still available not only in squeeze but in sid, too. I wouldn't
> mind installing their KDE4 counterpart mind you, they're just not available.

koffice is a bad example. koffice 1 is scheduled for removal and koffice 2
will stay in experimental until at least koffice 2.1

> So, I consider it a bug that those applications are distributed with no
> l10n due to a packaging problem (as explained in details in my preceding
> messages).

ok, got what you mean now. I agree it is a problem, but I do not see it
as a packaging problem, it is just a matter of "choice".

> That doesn't mean I don't understand that the Debian Qt/KDE Maintainers
> are reluctant to fix such a packaging problem since eventually all of
> those kde3 apps shall be ported or taken out of debian. I have taken
> notes on the lack of manpower of the team and I do understand that this
> problem is regarded as (very) low-priority (as long as stable is not
> concerned and it is only a testing/unstable problem, at least).
>
> This is precisely why I asked for maintainers' advice here. I don't want
> to file an unecessary (for me) and cumbersome (for them) bug report
> (i.e. a bug that probably only time will fix).

Honestly, I do not see it being fixed.

> I've read Modestas message now and I think he's just saying that: too
> early to decide how to solve the problem. That's OK for me, really.
> After observing the debates on the list and elsewhere, I'm now convinced
> that the sooner we'll have only kde4 apps in the archive the better, so
> that everyone will be in position to fill just 'useful' bugs. RIP KDE3.

Yes, exactly.

> Hope this clarify my question.

Yes, thanks.
Ana