Re: Translations lost on upgrade to KDE4

In <[🔎] 20090602210712.GA3950@ana.debian.net>, Ana Guerrero wrote:
>On Tue, Jun 02, 2009 at 09:08:30PM +0200, Patrice Pillot wrote:
>> Patrice Pillot a écrit :
>> > I thought about it but what I expect some file conflicts by installing
>> > old kde-i18n-**. I'm pretty sure cherrypicking through the *.mo file
>> > should be sufficient, shouldn't it ?
>> I just tried that, putting lenny's
>> /usr/share/locale/fr/LC_MESSAGES/kdelibs.mo alongside squeeze's
>> /usr/share/locale/fr/LC_MESSAGES/kdelibs4.mo and it seems it just works
>> (et least with kspread which is the application where the localized
>> dates and number formatting missed me particularly).
>>
>> If there is no objection from the maintainers on this list I will file a
>> bug tomorrow against kde-standard
>File a bug about what?
>You have to choose here kde3's translations or kde4's, kde3 and kde4 have
> been never been co-installable.

But the libraries have been.

Which means that you might have applications that use the old libraries and
translations AND applications that use the new libraries and translations
installed at the same time.

With the translations packaged as they are now; either the new applications
the old application or both aren't fully localized.  In particular, strings
coming from the library itself (some of which can show up in the GUI) are
not localized.

So, unless the plan is to drop KDE 3 entirely from Squeeze, including
libraries and applications that haven't been ported away from those
applications, this is a bug that will need to be addresses (IMHO).