Re: State of Konqueror

Christoph Burgmer wrote:
Am Dienstag, 28. April 2009 schrieb Felix Homann:
Then it seems to me something is seriously wrong with your system. Or you just visit different sites. Try disabling flash and check if this is still the case.

While lots of the crashes are indeed Flash related, the other half is usually related to Konqueror choking on some Javascript.

To keep Konqueror from crashing regularly I need to disable Flash and Javascript. How workable is that?

Right now, I'm unable to login on two fresh and standard Drupal installations with Konqueror. No problem with Iceweasel, Opera, Epiphany.

I've got a brand new Debian/KDE installaion on one of my machines. No it's no misconfiguration.

Flash is important nowadays. Wether you like it or not. Disabling Flash is not an option. Opera, Iceweasel and Epiphany don't have any problems. BTW, Flash is not only used for fancy eyecandy. It even enhances usability for lots of sites in the form for example of SWFUpload (see Wordpress uploads, Drupal's Image FUpload.)

KDE4 is still not as mature as 3.5, but it is totally workable and more up to date than its predecessor (at least since 4.2).

What do you mean "up to date"? In general, at least in my experience, KDE 4 apps look better but crash more often. E.g. Konqueror now renders pages properly for a moment before it crashes, where Konqueror 3.x would only have displayed nonsense. Yes, that's real progress!

I *do* like KDE 4 very much! At least, I don't know why :-) I haven't found a single app which works better than the KDE3 counterpart. On the contrary. Would I go back to KDE 3 then? No, the general issues I have are bearable. Unless it comes to Konqueror.

Kind regards,

Felix