Wrong keyboard after KDE4.2 startup, ok after a while

Hi all,

I'm having a bizarre problem here. My system is lenny, with qt 4.4.3, X.Org 1.4.2 and recompiled KDE 4.2.2 from unstable. The kernel is a self-compiled 2.6.28. keyboard layouts are deactivated in kcontrol; activating them didn't change anything to the better.

After I start KDE, the keyboard layout for ~the first 2 apps I start is US. Typically I have this in the program starter (lancelot or kickoff), and in the first iceweasel I start afterwards. For all apps I start then (e.g. if I kill lancelot and then press the K menu) it's perfectly ok. If I only start an xterm instead of kde, and then iceweasel, there seems to be no problem at all (i.e. I have German layout).

This first appeared after I switched from etch (yes, there I also managed to recompile kde 4.2.0 after recompiling some other packages ;)) to lenny. Back then, I still had the etch 4.2.0 packages installed, and I thought the problem was due to the 4.2.0 compiled on etch, another compiler or whatever. Unfortunately, it wasn't.

My X.Org log is appended below. I used the kbd driver for input before, but the switch to evdev didn't change the situation.

I really have no idea what the reason for this can be... maybe there's some old config files hanging around, but I have no idea where that should be. This system has not been freshly installed since ... potato?

Anyway, thanks for any help,

Stephan

/var/log/Xorg.0.log:

[...]
(**) Option "CoreKeyboard"
(**) <default keyboard>: always reports core events
(**) Option "Protocol" "standard"
(**) <default keyboard>: Protocol: standard
(**) Option "AutoRepeat" "500 30"
(**) Option "XkbRules" "xorg"
(**) <default keyboard>: XkbRules: "xorg"
(**) Option "XkbModel" "pc105"
(**) <default keyboard>: XkbModel: "pc105"
(**) Option "XkbLayout" "us"
(**) <default keyboard>: XkbLayout: "us"
(**) Option "CustomKeycodes" "off"
(**) <default keyboard>: CustomKeycodes disabled
[...]
(**) AT Translated Set 2 keyboard: always reports core events
(**) AT Translated Set 2 keyboard: Device: "/dev/input/event3"
(II) AT Translated Set 2 keyboard: Found keys
(II) AT Translated Set 2 keyboard: Configuring as keyboard
(II) XINPUT: Adding extended input device "AT Translated Set 2 keyboard" (type: KEYBOARD)
(**) Option "xkb_rules" "base"
(**) AT Translated Set 2 keyboard: xkb_rules: "base"
(**) Option "xkb_model" "evdev"
(**) AT Translated Set 2 keyboard: xkb_model: "evdev"
(**) Option "xkb_layout" "de"
(**) AT Translated Set 2 keyboard: xkb_layout: "de"
(**) Option "xkb_variant" "nodeadkeys"
(**) AT Translated Set 2 keyboard: xkb_variant: "nodeadkeys"