Re: For AMD64, Synaptic wants to remove konqueror, kdebase

Alle Thursday 23 April 2009, Edward C. Jones ha scritto:
> I have an AMD64 chip, so I use the AMD64 port of Debian. I use the
> unstable distribution. About two weeks ago, there was a major update of
> KDE for unstable. As part of this update, synaptic wanted to remove
> kdebase, kde-core, and konqueror, among other things. This is still the
> case today. I have not done the update for fear that KDE will be
> trashed. What is the problem?

There is nothing to worry about. KDE3 in unstable is gone and now there will be only KDE4.
Read here:
http://pkg-kde.alioth.debian.org/kde4.html;
if you want to move to KDE4 otherwise you must pin KDE3 packages in apt preference (or use another method for synaptic) in order to keep it.

KDE4 is still developing and it's missing some feature you may need: Bluetooth it's completely missing, NetworkManager and K3b are missing too, but you can use the KDE3 version without problems, Printer manager is present but it has less features than before. Said that, KDE4 is faster is prettier and is going to have a lot of more features than KDE3.
Bye

Valerio