Re: Akonadi, Nepomuk, and PowerDevil

On Friday 10 April 2009 19:32:03 Manolete, ese artista... wrote:
> El Viernes 10 Abril 2009 17:06:51 Michael Schuerig escribió:
> > If that's the case, I can stop all these nepomuk processes and happily
> > revert to Konqueror as my beloved file manager.
>
> Well, you can wait for some advice from other more experienced users or
> some mantainer; but if I'm not worng, all you "miss" deactivating Nepomuk
> is all those pretty stars to rate your files, and the tags you can add to
> them as metainfo, which would be extremely useful to do searches if Strigi,
> would work; but not being that the case I don't think you will miss a lot.

The problem with these thingies is not that they are not good. They simply bog
down the system.

It is necessary to be able to nice and/or ionice these. Akonadi spawns a load
of processes. KDE4 crawls until they complete their sync-up or whatever they
are doing. Recollindex can be run from a start script niced at 19 and one does
not know it is running. Nepomuk might be OK if it could this this. ANY indexer
will bog down a system if not niced (not to mention the size of its data-
file). For this reason, I got rid of google. Nepomuk is in the same catagory
unless I have more control over it.

FIrst thing I do when I log on to kde4 is nice krunner, akonadiserver to 15.
If I do not do this, I cannot do anything in the GUI.