My experience upgrading to KDE4

Well, I took the plunge today upgrading to KDE4.  I've tracked Sid for
several years and never has it broken like today.  :-D

Installation of the mysqld package is hopelessly broken and hangs, only
Ctl-C will break out of the install script.  A number of packages
complain about hal not being configured.  Such is the "fun" of the new
Free Desktop.

I found kdm wouldn't start and the Debian User list recommended
installing the desktop-base package which I did and now KDM starts, but
I have no keyboard or mouse!  I can't even get to a shell prompt.  I
guess the joke's on me.  Fortunately, I have a boot menu option for a
shell prompt so I can fix things as I receive advice.  I guess the
first order of business is fixing hal, but I don't see a bug that
discusses a broken upgrade yet.  Perhaps I need to remove it and
reinstall it.

Fortunately, this is my test laptop so I'm not experimenting on
something that matters at the moment.

- Nate >>