Re: keeping kde 3.5.X base whilst upgrading applications

On Tuesday 07 April 2009 12:46:40 Arthur Marsh wrote:
> Hi, some applications that are the reason I installed KDE in the first
> place will not have KDE 4.X versions for quite a while (Quanta Plus,
> Rosegarden). I intend to stay on KDE 3.5.X until all KDE applications
> that I use have KDE 4.X versions or better equivalent applications.
>
> I'd appreciate it if users in a similar situation could explain what
> worked and didn't work for them in trying to carry out the same goal.
>
> At this stage I've upgraded libraries that were at 4.2.1 version to the
> new 4.2.2 version, along with some applications, but I have not upgraded
> the core parts of KDE that are still at 3.5.9/3.5.10. The only running
> KDE 4 app that the upgrade process notified me of was nepomukservicestub.
>
> Thanks to the Debian KDE developers/packagers for easing the transition
> to KDE 4.X.
>
> Arthur.

Debian's maintainers decided not to suport using both kde4 and kde3.

I CAN do this quite well, however, this because my kde3 is locally compiled. I
manually copied my .kde before letting kaboom touch it on 4.2.2 upgrade. The
kde3's startkde set $KDEHOME to the new .kde3 and also sets an environment
variable tested in /etc/profile to do the name and also give kde3 binaries and
libraries path-priority of kde4 (/usr/bin). I have been using such an
arrangement for months now. Both startkde's need separate entries of Xsessions
in whatever login you use, kdm, xdm, etc.