Re: [ANN] KDE 4.2 moving to unstable *this* week

El Lunes 06 Abril 2009 17:28:24 Modestas Vainius escribió:
> If you want to know more about development process, subscribe to the
> respective mailing lists (at least)

Well, I wasn't speaking "in behalf" of me, really. I haven't said anything about 4.2.2 release date. But it's true I wanted to "defend" a bit the sensation of many users: mistery. Sometimes common users, not those who suscribe every single OSS list on earth, don't know if things are moving of if for any reason they are stopped. That was all.

> The main frustration was not about technical details, but questions like "when
> will it be uploaded

As I say, I'm conviced most people who ask that wuold be happy with a couple of lines in Debian-KDE site, or in a massage to this list saying "Delayed for whatever reason"

> (I want exact day and hour, give me it!!)" or "why not
> today". If we gave it, then some journalist would write about it and finally
> there would more frustration about the topic "why you missed it". Endless
> story and counterproductive for everybody. It is much better for users to know
> approximate information.

Well, that's the people who are born to annoy. They annoy y'all packagers, they annoy software developers, annoy taxi drivers and evryone they can. Life can't have a normal and sane development if taking them into account, so just ignore them.

> Ana made an announcement a week ago.

I know, I'd say most of us know, and I thinks that might be one of the reasons why, in fact, there haven't been too many "Hey, what's up with 4.2.2 packages?" messages. And that makes me think that most people isn't that annoying if they are slightly informed about what's going on

> What is more, just an announcement as you have written it
> wouldn't be sufficient in any case. You need to spend rather much time to
> write a proper announcement, it does not work that way.

I know nothing about packaging process, nor my english is good at all, but if you don't have that needed time (which I don't believe ti to be that much, to be honest) I'b be glad to collaborate in writting those occasional and short announcements I think would calm down many users' impatience.