Re: [ANN] KDE 4.2 moving to unstable *this* week

Hello,

On 2009 m. April 6 d., Monday 17:22:02 Manolete, ese artista... wrote:
> Well, paraphrasing Socrates I'd say that in the "fair medium" (or whatever
> it is in English) is the virtue. I think most users ask only because many
> times those info omissions don't seem to do any good at all, but involve
> this packaging process into an "obscure" atmosphere where no one but
> packagers know what is happening and what fate has in store for us, mortal
> users.
If you want to know more about development process, subscribe to the
respective mailing lists (at least) or visit respective irc channels from time
to time. Writing reports why/how/when would be as time consuming as
development / packaging itself. Basically, if you want know more, you also
need make some effort.

> I can understand y'all omit technical details most of users aren't
The main frustration was not about technical details, but questions like "when
will it be uploaded (I want exact day and hour, give me it!!)" or "why not
today". If we gave it, then some journalist would write about it and finally
there would more frustration about the topic "why you missed it". Endless
story and counterproductive for everybody. It is much better for users to know
approximate information.

> interested in and wouldn't even understand, but I don't think a couple of
> announcements from time to time like "hey, people, we know we said this
> week it would be ready, but unfortunately we have had a lot of things to do
> so you'll have to wait for a week more wouldn't do any wrong; in fact I
Ana made an announcement a week ago. I think users were given quite reasonable
timeframe when to expect changes. Debian is not ubuntu, we try to put quality
over deadlines. What is more, just an announcement as you have written it
wouldn't be sufficient in any case. You need to spend rather much time to
write a proper announcement, it does not work that way.

--
Modestas Vainius <modestas@vainius.eu>