Re: Linux-kbuild

Am Saturday 14 March 2009 23:24:41 schrieb Valerio Passini:
> Alle sabato 14 marzo 2009, Herbert S. ha scritto:
> > After doing a) you can run the NVIDIA-installation program (Download it
> > from the NVIDIA Homepage (the ONE that I use is:
> > NVIDIA-Linux-x86-177.82-pkg1.run )
> >
> > Herbert
>
> I don't agree on this point. Why do you mess your system when packages are
> available? If you want nvidia drivers 180.29, you only need to install
> nvidia-kernel-source and nvidia-glx from the experimental repository (the
> latest drivers are always there).
> If you have a kernel which makes you happy, keep it along with a kernel
> compiled by yourself. You will have an higher degree of freedom doing that.
> i.e. if you buy a new piece of hardware you could need to compile a recent
> kernel that has the right module for it, without waiting for a new kernel
> package from Debian.It's up to you.
> Bye
>
> Valerio

Thank you Valerio,
of course you're right ! It did not correctly add using
NVIDIA-installer-programm to my note - it should have been pointed out to b)
self-compiled kernel.
As you mentioned in case of a) Debian has own packages in it's repository.

By the way:
My kernel 2.6.18.4 (running for a while of ~ 1,5 years) resulted of a previous
Debian Sarge installtion with a lower kernel-version, so I had to compile a
new kernel (to fit my hardware AND of course to learn more about
kernel-compiling and adjustment )and therefore the Debian-way at that time
was no option.

Greetings,
herbert