Re: [KDE 4.1 backports] yakuake missing

Hi,

ketvirtadienis 04 Rugsėjis 2008, Ben E. Hard rašė:
> I know that it is only an additional feature and that Ana doesn't want to
> provide the "best possible KDE 4.1 desktop experience" in Lenny. But why
> shouldn't he or somebody else provide a good experience with some more KDE4
> programs for Lenny?
> Why not? Why that fundamentalism? Don't you want to leave it to Ana which
> packages he includes?
I'm just expressing my opinion and not objecting to anything (as I'm not
actually doing backports). Backporting is quite a time consuming job. Having
an app A backported will rise a question why B or C can't be backported.
However, Ana has already replied that she is considering including yakauke in
backports.

> Why do you think it is without support? Of course there is no official
> support of debian, but Ana kindly responds to that mailinglist.
I did not mean such support. Your request is actually a perfectly valid
support request (old software does not work with KDE4, you want a newer
version) also. Frankly, you give a pretty good reason as KDE3 version is
completely unusable.

> Of course, but I have the feeling that these backports are meant to help
> testing users to use KDE4 right now before Lenny is released. The backports
> won't include anything after KDE 4.1.x (so are the plans according to
> kde4.debian.net), as the backports will be useless once official
> KDE4-packages appear in testing.
These are Lenny backports (so they are more "future stable" backports than
testing backports). You can be pretty sure that it will take a while until KDE
4 migrates to testing after it enters unstable. But backports will stay Lenny
not Squeeze ones during that period.

--
Modestas Vainius <modestas@vainius.eu>