Re: [KDE 4.1 backports] yakuake missing

Hi,

trečiadienis 03 rugsėjis 2008, Ben E. Hard rašė:
> Ok, then it is not missing, but I miss it :-) Still that policy will
> probably become if not a problem, then at least something uncomfortable:
> with each new application being ported to kde4 and not being included in
> lenny, one would have to get it from experimental.
That's exactly what this policy is supposed to protect from. New applications
will be released and some users will definitely want them. You should look at
KDE 4.1 backports for Lenny as an additional feature/service. Actually, as KDE
4.1 could not be included in Lenny due to unfortunate release timing and a few
other issues, we thought that adventurous Lenny users should not be left only
with aging KDE 3.5. Sorry, but it's never been a goal to provide the best
possible KDE 4.1 desktop experience in Lenny.

>But I'm not saying you should do all that work of packing all kde4-programms.
Criteria is set - backports of official KDE 4.1.x modules. No more or less. I
do not think that making exceptions is a good thing.

>Would they be included in the normal backports?
Depends. first of all Lenny needs to be released and current stuff in
experimental to enter a new testing via unstable. Only then  "normal
backports" can be made.

>If not, the idea of using lenny + kde4 will always be a mix of kde3 + 4 with
some programs not working or not integrating completely in kde4
KDE 4.1 desktop in Lenny is an *additional* and *unofficial* feature which you
can use as it is with no support (as in no fixing of Lenny-only issues).
Basically, Lenny will always be like this as you see it now (with regard to
software up-to-dateness). Finally, you probably do not want to use Debian
stable release anyway. Once Lenny is released, keep using testing ("Squeeze")
and it eventually will get the whole KDE 4.x desktop and other KDE 4
applications.

--
Modestas Vainius <modestas@vainius.eu>