Re: Why KDE4 ktorrent in Lenny?

Hi,

trečiadienis 27 rugpjūtis 2008, Mike Bird rašė:
> I just tried the KDE4 ktorrent 3 which is being pushed for Lenny.
> It was a huge disappointment.  It brings in a lot of KDE 4 libs
> which are otherwise not needed and it has maybe 10% of the
> functionality of ktorrent 2.2.
Come on, check your facts before saying anything. The only missing feature is
RSS plugin. So basically there are two reasons ktorrent2.2 package exists:

1) For users who do not want to install KDE4 runtime libraries.
2) For users who can't live without RSS plugin.

Read /usr/share/doc/ktorrent/README.Debian

What is more, KTorrent is not an official KDE package. It can also be used as
a standalone application on any desktop environment/window manager where KDE 3
vs. KDE 4 argument does not matter.

> And it crashes.  A lot.
Report bugs with proper backtraces. It has been rock solid for me for a long
time and I basically use it 24/7. Your bugs might help to get later ktorrent
3.1.x upstream bug fix release into Lenny.

> What am I missing?  I don't understand why this piece of KDE 4
> is being pushed prematurely.
KTorrent 3.x series has already had TWO major stable releases, both of them
with new features and improvements in core code arguably resulting into better
performance. ktorrent 2.2.7 is unmaintained and aging hence it might start to
be banned from trackers soon. Do not forget that Lenny lifetime is long.

> Most users will simply have to
> downgrade to ktorrent2.2.
It is interesting that you say "downgrade" here. That's another reason 3.1.x
is the default. By the way, your "most users" claim is not backed up. Actually
my opinion is contrary that most users won't downgrade. However, I *do*
understand your arguments, so you have a choice and you are not forced to
upgrade ktorrent 3 by installing ktorrent2.2.

> Why not release ktorrent version 2.2
> in Lenny and maybe have a ktorrent3 package for anyone that wants
> to play on the bleeding edge?
It is by no way bleeding edge. It is a stable release. ktorrent2.2 will be
gone from testing/unstable once Lenny is released and there will be no upgrade
path to ktorrent 3 in the next Debian stable release for this package.

--
Modestas Vainius <modestas@vainius.eu>