Re: Why KDE4 ktorrent in Lenny?

On Tue August 26 2008 23:56:00 Ana Guerrero wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 26, 2008 at 11:19:02PM -0700, Mike Bird wrote:
> > I just tried the KDE4 ktorrent 3 which is being pushed for Lenny.
> > It was a huge disappointment.  It brings in a lot of KDE 4 libs
> > which are otherwise not needed and it has maybe 10% of the
> > functionality of ktorrent 2.2.
> >
> > And it crashes.  A lot.
> >
> > What am I missing?
>
> Install ktorrent2.2 and remove ktorrent.

Perhaps I wasn't clear.  My question is why are we defaulting Lenny
users to ktorrent 3.1.1 which will only result in frustration and
cause thousands of users to have to manually remove ktorrent and
install ktorrent2.2?

It would be much more helpful if Lenny shipped with ktorrent at
version 2.2.7.  ktorrent 3.1.1 could be packaged as ktorrent3,
so that it is available to people who want to try KDE4 but without
annoying people who need a usable ktorrent.

The Debian KDE team has wisely decided to provide KDE3 as the
default in Lenny, with KDE4 as an option.  Ktorrent goes against
this policy and the result is (I choose these words deliberately)
disfunctional, buggy, fragile, and ugly.  I don't know how well
ktorrent 3.1.1 behaves when surrounded by a full KDE4 install, but
I can tell you that "apt-get install ktorrent" in KDE3 Lenny gives
a ktorrent which is painful and embarrassing.

FWIW I did an "apt-cache search ktorrent" to see if the missing
functionality was available in additional packages, perhaps as
plugins, but no joy there either.

--Mike Bird