Re: Upgrade was mostly fine, but a few problems left

El Lunes, 4 de Agosto de 2008, Christoph Burgmer escribió:
> Am Monday, 4. August 2008 schrieb Raúl Sánchez Siles:
> > >
> > > To answer myself: I found the feature in system settings. All the
> > > animations work decently, the only problem ist that scrolling through
> > > webpages is massively slower even if all single animations are switched
> > > off thus rendering it unusable for me on a ThinkPad with i810.
> > >
> > > Does anybody have a good reason why scrolling is so slow and if I can
> > > somehow work around it? I consider posting a bug at bugs.kde.org
> >
> >  I suppose that you are using the latest intel driver, currently i810
> > package just links to the real intel driver (as opposed to old i810
> > driver). I've starting to investigate this issue but I don't have a
> > conclusion yet. Even more I own a 955GM card so YMMV.
> >
> >   So far you need to take into account several things. First of all is
> > that using composite effects may have a major impact on the graphics
> > performance, it's not the same to accelerate mixed 3D/2D than just 2D.
> > You also need to take into account the hardware performance, that's
> > something you can't change unless you buy a newer card, yet more
> > difficult with intel (usually integrated).
> >
> >   Take a look at the xorg driver version you are using, 2.4.0 is the
> > latest intel driver version, where 2.4.1 may come. Also you may be
> > interested in trying with some other more up-to-date stuff, and provided
> > you are using experimental, you can try linux 2.6.26 and mesa 7.1 rc3
> > (packages libgl1-mesa-glx and libgl1-mesa-dri).
> >
> >   Do not use packages from experimental if you don't know what you are
> > doing.
>
> I was using the version from unstable but tried to switch to the
> experimental one, which needed some further upgrades. After that kdm would
> freeze and no input was accepted so I reverted back to the lenny version.
> Btw. I have on- board graphics on a IBM Thinkpad.
>
> >   Also acceleration method is important, looks like mature xaa is still
> > better performant on some cases than newer exa, you can specify which one
> > to use adding the line:
> >        Option          "AccelMethod" "xaa"
> > in the Device section of xorg.conf
>
> I'll try that.
>
> >   There is also some important development being carried out in either
> > the xorg server and the driver for improving things, but don't expect it
> > for Lenny.
> >
> >   Last but not least, I've heard that there are some major Qt4
> > regressions affecting text rendering performance, but this is almost
> > gossip.
> >
> >   If someone from XSF or any other concerned about this field may have
> > something more to add/correct.
>
> Many thanks for your precise post. Thanks also to Ferdinand.
> I believe that some of the composite things are not only eye candy but
> usability improvements so I'll further play around with KDE settings and
> meanwhile continue to post bug reports on other glitches.
>
> Chris

  I forgot to mention that may be interested in trying both acceleration
methods kwin can use: xrender and opengl. You can find that in the desktop
settings, desktop effects, advance configuration. I've found that xrender
performs better in my case.

 HTH,

--
     Raúl Sánchez Siles