Re: Some KDE3 extragear applications not installable in KDE4 [.1]

On Tuesday 29 July 2008 23:36:53 Ritesh Raj Sarraf wrote:
> If I'm understanding correct, the idea of having kdelibs and kdepimlibs
> from KDE4 into unstable, is to be able to use KDE4 applications in a KDE3
> environment.
>
> I'm guessing it is the same other way too?
> Being able to run some KDE3 applications in KDE4. Right?
> I see, right now, kphotoalbum (and digikam) not installable in the KDE4
> environment. Another one is kscope.
>
> Till we decide to ship KDE4 as the default, will it be possible to use some
> of these KDE3 extragear apps in KDE4?

KDE4 apps like dolphin run fine in KDE3. I have not tried panel applets and
such.

KDE3 apps will usually do just fine in KDE4. However, the problem is dcop.
Dcop was replaced with a dbus oriented system in KDE4. Running the KDE3 apps
will start or require the user to start dcopserver. Example, knemo will run
but until another applet, say ksensors starts dcopserver, it will not appear.
Afterwards, both appear. If for some reason, plasma crashes, these will still
be running but will not be restored to the panel.

It would be nice if a call-compatible dcop standin were around in KDE4 to help
backwards compatibility since KDE3 stuff will be around for a while and much
will never be ported!