Re: kde 4.1 alpha coming soon

On Saturday 03 May 2008 13:58:30 Ana Guerrero wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 30, 2008 at 02:18:35PM +0200, Ana Guerrero wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > KDE 4.1 alpha was released some hours ago. We are currently working on
> > packages that will be slightly newer that what is shipped with the
> > alpha1. This will have the advantage of a more usable plasma but it is
> > not still completely functional, so you are warned.
> >
> > So be patient, it will have like 3 days to have a full KDE 4.1 in
> > experimental, and we do not know yet for what arch we will do the uploads
> > (amd64 or i386).
>
> Most of KDE 4.1 post alpha (called 4.0.72) is now in experimental, by now
> most of the parts will be built for the most used archs (1386, amd64), but
> if something is not for your arch, patience.

Got it. Mostly works nicely.

BUGS

Plasma no longer keeps icon size changes, always resets to
"minimum" (user-configured default?) on start.

Kdm still does not repaint the screen after loading the background. Probably a
one-liner.

> If you test it and find bugs that are not problems in the packaging, please
> report them in the KDE's bugzilla. Reporting them in the Debian's BTS does
> not help, just create more work in our side.
I have a logon at kde-apps. How does one report bugs through the bugzilla? I
used to report them using the help menu "report bug".

> As I guess some of you are wondering whether to switch or not, personally,
> I do not recommend this for daily use.

Unfortunately, the Debian installation does not cater to dual-KDE as posts
here have emphasized. For those of us who managed to set this up, it might
help to leave the xsession desktops alone in the upgrades since nothing
really has changed there anyway. Not really a problem, though, since I can
change the name of the kde3 one instead, huh?