KDE & laptop-mode-tools

Hi,
Is there anyone here who successfully uses laptop-mode-tools with KDE?
I'm trying to use it with little success. Actually there is a part of
the script, which uses probably xset to switch X standby/power off
times.
xset must be run as a user, not root and after logon (which is done by
KDM in my case).
I put relevant desktop file to /usr/share/autostart. It is run
correctly, because I can see debug output in some file.
However xset settings are not applied. When I run it manually
afterwards, they work just fine. When I (de/re)attach power cable,
they are also applied.

Do you have any suggestions?

Script run by desktop file:
#!/bin/bash
# RG - this script is used for executing laptop-mode
# after (any) user log in
echo "blabla" >>/tmp/session.start
whoami >>/tmp/session.start
sudo /usr/sbin/laptop_mode force

Desktop file:
# cat laptop-mode.desktop
[Desktop Entry]
Comment=
Comment[pl]=
Encoding=UTF-8
Exec[$e]='/etc/kde3/kdm/laptop-mode-tools.sh'
GenericName=(Re)start laptop mode tools
GenericName[pl]=(Re)start laptop mode tools
Icon=exec
MimeType=
Name=laptop-mode
Name[pl]=laptop-mode