KDE3 on Debian in a USB Thumb Drive

I am currently using Debian experimental with KDE4 and is is looking at the option of installing Debian with KDE3 on a usb thumb drive so that I can bring it and introduce it to friends wherever I go.

Only the minimum packages of KDE3.5.9 is needed and there will be no need for swap space.

Appreciate if any expert can share your experience on the following :

1. can this be done ?

2. what is the space that will be required for this setup ?

3. what is the basic kde packages that I need to install after installing with the Debian net-install cd ?
    - packages that I normally use - konqueror, konsole, kopete, firefox, kwrite, kmix, klipper, kget, knetworkmanager, vlc, guarddog

4. how to disble logging and reduce unnecessary read/writte - as this setup will be used on laptops rather than servers ?

5. any other things that I should note

Thanks in advance for the advise.

Regards
Cae