Re: Using KDE3.5 and KDE4

Even with the profile switch, kde3.5 tries to bring up plasma and krunner
after going back to kde3.5 after running kde4. They have been placed in the
exclude session but it did anyway. They, of course, crash.

>    unset XDG_DATA_DIRS # to avoid seeing kde3 files from /usr
>    unset XDG_CONFIG_DIRS

I have no such stuff in my environment in either version

>My case is just the opposite of yours. I still depend on KDE3. KDE4 is still
>in the test phase for me.

I still depend on KDE3 as well since KDE4 is simply not ready to play. I can
use it successfully with kmail (still old), OLD konqueror or opera or dillo.
There is confusion as to whether a widget is like a kicker-applet or a
desktop item (plasmoid). For example, I accidently lost the digital clock
applet, attempt to replace got me the plasmoid. Placing kget puts in BOTH and
I can close the plasmoid and keep the applet. Most of the resizing subicons
do not work which is just as well. Those do not add anything the KDE. They
will resize a plasmoid.

>Even though this is set, I still need an ldconfig done to get all KDE4 apps
>to work properly. So when switching back to kde3, I again need to run
>ldconfig to disable the kde4 libraries. I'm not sure if there is any
>simpler way to fix this.

This  needs root privileges so will not get done from the startkde scripts.
Seems to work OK without it in many cases because the library NAMES are
different. Otherwise, it would certainly be utter chaos.

I could report a bunch of little bugs but they are not really being dealt with
(so the argument that calling a beta a release to get more folks to try it is
not really valid).