kmilo not working on Lenny

I can't get kmilo to respond in any way to the volume and mute keys on my
Lenovo 3000 N200 laptop (which uses the generic kmilo module).  It works OK
using (K)Ubuntu Gutsy on the same computer. It's not clear what configuration
is needed. The mute and volume up/down keys produce the standard codes
defined in /usr/share/hotkey-setup/key-constants, so there doesn't appear to
be a keyboard mapping problem. On Ubuntu the keys (via kmilo) produce an OSD
display when they are pressed, but nothing shows on Debian. Kmilo is set to
run in the KDE service manager.

Any hints as to what else to look at?

P.S. I'm aware of the bugs in the generic module - there are fixes available
now from the KDE source repository.

--
David Jarvie.
KAlarm author and maintainer.