Re: KDE4 and KDE3 separate

A Dilluns 17 Desembre 2007 11:59, Ana Guerrero va escriure:
> On Mon, Dec 17, 2007 at 02:10:44AM +0530, Ritesh Raj Sarraf wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > Now that KDE4 is just about 25 days away from release, I was wondering
> > what packaging policy is Debian going to make.
> >
> > Currently, this is what apt says:
> >
> > rrs@learner:~$ apt-cache policy kdebase
> > kdebase:
> >   Installed: 4:3.5.8.dfsg.1-2
> >   Candidate: 4:3.5.8.dfsg.1-2
> >   Version table:
> >      4:3.97.0-1 0
> >          50 http://ftp.debian.org experimental/main Packages
> >          50 http://mirrors.kernel.org experimental/main Packages
> >  *** 4:3.5.8.dfsg.1-2 0
> >         990 http://ftp.debian.org testing/main Packages
> >         600 http://ftp.debian.org unstable/main Packages
> >         990 http://mirrors.kernel.org testing/main Packages
> >         600 http://mirrors.kernel.org unstable/main Packages
> >         100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
> >      4:3.5.7-3lenny1 0
> >         990 http://security.debian.org testing/updates/main Packages
> >
> > So, Is KDE4 going to be an upgrade over KDE3 ?
> > KDE3 is going to be maintained for some more time. Won't it be better to
> > separate the packages till KDE3 is announced EOL ?
> > There might be many users who would like to stick to KDE3.
>
> KDE4 will remain in experimental for some time... (months). Only some parts
> of kde4 will be co-installable with KDE3.  Think we are planning release
> Lenny with KDE 3.5.9.  More info about this in a mail soon.

I agree with Ritesh Raj Sarraf about to have kde4 in opt. I think that this is
a _big_ update to the kde desktop and should be coexists in some way to test
it. If it's possible, it would be nice to have a kdm entry where you can run
a kde4 session of kde3 session.

An about your last paragraph (Ana Guerrero) are you talking that we will have
in lenny 3.5.9. Probably we will have some kind of situation as in woody,
when we got kde 2.2 in stable and the kde team was working to release kde3
some time after. But, I hope that the situation was not the same, because we
were waiting sarge 18 months.

Regards,

Leo