Re: Defining and choosing profiles

On Sunday 18 November 2007, Martin Ammermüller wrote:
> Am Samstag 17 November 2007 11:42:31 schrieb Michael Schuerig:
> > I'm looking for a way to define profiles for network configuration,
> > proxies, network filesystems to mount, timezone, and other settings
> > that can differ based on where I am and how I'm connected to the
> > net. With KDE integration, of course.
> >
> > Apparently, SuSE has such a tool, called scpm, see
> >
> >   http://www.linux.com/feature/119875
> >
> > Is there something similar for Debian?
>
> Have you tried knetworkmanager? Works fine, here.

I've just had a look at it. It didn't "just work" and I didn't try to
make it, but from what I've seen I gather that knetworkmanager is
useful for configuring connection profiles for multiple network
environments. That's fine for what it is, but right now actually the
least of my problems. I'm more interested in things such as proxy
servers and network filesystems, possibly firewall settings.

To make thinks more concrete. When I'm working on a project at home and
at a client site, I easily get network access by means of DHCP in both
places. But at home I need no proxies, rely on the firewall in my
router and there are no network filesystems I need to mount. When at
the client site, I have to configure proxy settings for KDE, Firefox,
Subversion (Subclipse), and I want my own local firewall.

Michael

--
Michael Schuerig
mailto:michael@schuerig.de