Re: KDE for Etch

On Thursday 08 November 2007, Kevin Krammer wrote:
> On Thursday 08 November 2007, Nate Duehr wrote:
> > I think there's more than ten options for desktop managers.  Should it
> > install them all?
>
> Well, as far as I understand, somebody wanted to have a "desktop" choice
> in the installer but not ask any further questions. If not asking any
> further questions is really important, then yes, it should install them
> all. No questions ask, nothing lost.
>
> > I don't think it should install ANYTHING without asking the user what
> > they want.
>
> Exactly!
>
> > > If this isn't fixed in one of the Etch updates, I recommend to file
> > > bug reports for the Debian installer when Lenny gets into feature
> > > freeze.
> >
> > Why wait?  Get it in the BTS now so someone has time to work on it, if
> > you're passionate about it.
>
> I am pretty sure the d-i maintainer knows about the bug.
> Reporting it again is just a last resort in case he or she forgets about
> it and Lenny's installer wouldnot be fixed either.
> Usually grave bugs like this are fixed before anyway, DDs usually don't
> like to wait for the last possible moment.

I don't think you can consider this a 'grave' bug (and I know the d-i people
won't). This is a question of what the correct default is, it's not
actually breakage -> unless somebody gets on the case this issue is likely
to linger.

AFAIK space constraints on the install CD also make it more complicated
than 'just install them all', though that probably is an option for the DVD
images.
--
Cheers, cobaco (aka Bart Cornelis)