Re: KDE for Etch

On Wednesday 07 November 2007, Curt Howland wrote:
> On Wednesday 07 November 2007, Thierry Chatelet was heard to say:
> > If it's a new install he could re-install going to expert with the
> > following: expert tasks="standard, kde-desktop"
> > he then will have an install with only KDE.
> > If he doesn't want to re-install he can run:
> > tasksel install kde-destop
> > Thierry
>
> It's too bad that the option to install KDE is so far back from the
> point of obvious choice, and that the only place I've seen
> the "expert tasks="standard, kde-desktop"" is in posts telling me,
> now Philip, what we should have done.

I still consider this a grave bug in the Debian installer.

It either should install most popular desktops together when the desktop task
is selected, or install a lightweight one like XFCE if space/download time is
a consideration.

Actually I'd expect an installer of a neutral distribution like Debian to ask.
If OpenSUSE can do it, Debian should also be able to. Therefore is a bug or
oversight in the Etch installer.

If this isn't fixed in one of the Etch updates, I recommend to file bug
reports for the Debian installer when Lenny gets into feature freeze.

Cheers,
Kevin