Wish I could see it

Thank you for making this live CD! I was eager to give it a test run and see
the work that's been done, but when I boot the CD, I run into a problem at
the point where it starts KDM. There is a bunch of disk activity, but the
screen goes blank and remains blank indefinitely. Furthermore, the system
does not accept keyboard input (at least there is no response to known
commands such as Ctrl+Alt+F1 or Ctrl+Alt+Bksp). I was able to access the
running system using SSH. From there, if I stop KDM, I can see a flashing
cursor on the screen where you would expect to see the command prompt. There
is no text, just a cursor. I can type commands, but can't see the text that I
type (or the output), just a cursor. The same is true for all
pseudo-terminals.

Looking at the xorg.conf (through the SSH connection which gives me good CLI
access to the system), all appears well--my monitor and display adapter were
correctly identified and are given appropriate settings. But once X tries to
start, the display is hosed.

For reference, here's some hardware specs:
AMD Athlon XP 3000+ (2.1GHz, 32-bit)
nVidia n-Force 2 motherboard chipset
nVidia geForce 6800GS (AGP, 256MB RAM)
1GB PC2700 system memory (2x512MB)
2 SATA HDDs, 1 ATAPI optical drive, 1 3.5" floppy drive
Hauppauge TV tuner (not used, but detected by the kernel and drivers are
automatically loaded at boot time)
Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS
PS/2 keyboard and mouse