Re: KDE4 beta4 live CD

Fathi Boudra schrieb:
> Hi,
>
> Thanks to the efforts of the Debian Live project, we have created live CDs
> with current KDE4 beta4 for i386 and amd64 architectures:
>
> http://pkg-kde.alioth.debian.org/kde4livecd.html

Great idea!

Some comments.
Debian specific:

1.) Would it be possible to use autologin for the demo user? kdm allows
that afaik. What happend to me is, that I booted the demo CD only to
discover that I hadn't remembered the login name and password.
2.) fontconfig 2.4.91-1 has some regressions with regard to font
antialiasing in Qt4 [1]. I'm not sure if it's a problem in Qt4 or
fontconfig. Maybe it would make sense for the time being, to use an
older version of fontconfig from snapshots.debian.net.
3.) Making Oxygen style/windeco the default.
As Oxygen will be default in KDE 4.0 (I guess) it would make sense imho
to change the defaults to use this new theme so people can get a taste
of it and give feedback.

Maybe Debian specific/probably upstream:
4.) Wanted to test the meta data support. Dolphin was complaining
though, that nepomuk service was not running.
5.) Noticed lots of missing icons in kickoff, especially for the KDE games.

Upstream:
6.) Wasn't able to create a document in dolphin, rmb menu was pretty
empty. afaik this is already fixed upstream.
7.) Deleting a file (to trash) and the trying to restore it again
crashes dolphin reproducably.
8.) Visual glitch in the dolphins progress bar (bottom right). If needed
I can attach a screenshot.
9.) Clock applet does not remember position on logout/login. It moves to
the complete left in the taskbar.
10.) Kwin does not allow to enable desktop effects, although I know that
my hardware (radeon 9200) should support it. Probably a live cd issue.

All in all, it finally looks like it's coming together. Looking forward
to KDE 4.0.

Cheers,
Michael

universe are pointed away from Earth?