Re: Launching root konsole from kicker; konsole is always root.

On Fri, Jun 01, 2007 at 01:18:37 +1000, John O'Hagan wrote:
> Hi,
>
> After a recent reinstall of Debian Lenny, I tried to reproduce a previous
> setup where I could launch Konsole as normal user, or as root,  using two
> separate icons on the KDE panel.
>
> No go this time - I tried konsole as a different user, but this results in a
> freeze of the panel itself and eventually of KDE itself, and a
> message "KDEInit could not launch KDEsu" after closing the Konsole; I
> tried "sudo Konsole" from the panel but an error dialog said "KDEInit could
> not launch sudo". KDE's "Root Konsole" worked OK but is a pain because each
> tab requires retyping the password.
>
> Other apps requiring root privileges via KDEsu (eg root konqueror and adept)
> work OK.
>
> To make matters worse, I fiddled with Konsole's settings in such a way that it
> always launches as "Root Konsole" and I cannot find a way to put it back to
> normal user as default.
>
> Any advice on either problem appreciated.

You could try to move

~/.kde/share/apps/konsole/
~/.kde/share/config/konsolerc
~/.kde/share/config/konsolepartrc
~/.kde/share/config/konsole.eventsrc

out of the way and check if this improves the situation. (Make sure that
you can move the original files back if their removal makes things
worse.)

          Florian   |