Re: KDE 3.5.6

Am Donnerstag, 8. Februar 2007 schrieb Florian Kulzer:
> On Thu, Feb 08, 2007 at 17:34:43 +0100, Christoph Burgmer wrote:
> > Am Donnerstag, 8. Februar 2007 13:38 schrieb Didier Raboud:
> > > Cédric Boutillier a écrit :
> > >
> > > Then go into aptitude and update, after checking that only desired
> > > packages are updated (check each and every update !). Then remove the
> > > line given above. There is certainly a possibility to make it in a
> > > better way, but it works.
> >
> > The only option I see is checking the whole lot of KDE packages. That
> > would meen I'd have to set each one to the new version. With >50 packages
> > this is not an option. Putting some base package to 3.5.6 and waiting for
> > aptitude to resolve the conflicts doesn't work. Am I missing something?

[snip]

> 4) Now the trick: Whenever you want to install something from
>    "experimental" (or if you want to check for updates) you can run
>    "aptitude -t experimental". You will start an interactive session and
>    you will see the experimental packages listed under "upgradable
>    packages". (You have to "u"pdate the list of available packages
>    first, of course.)

[snip]

Thanks for the detailed plan. Point 4 was what I missed before.
KDE 3.5.6 running here now.
But: Logging back into KDE made all my applications crash.
.xsession-errors reports "Failed to create XIM input context!" (I'm running
some input method for chinese over here). Setting my locale back so that
debian wouldn't start scim (the chines input method) solves the problem for
now.
I don't know exactly where the problem is and .xsession-errors reports a lot
more, but for now I will try to upgrade my unstable installation (without
additional experimental packages) as I didn't do a full upgrade before. If
this doesn't work I guess I have to dig deeper.

Chris