kdm background - where?

Over the past few days, my kdm background (a sort of swirl of blue) has
dissappeared.  Instead I have a solid mid blue background.

my /etc/kde3/kdm/backgroundrc file refers to

Wallpaper=debian-kde_default.png

but searching my complete hard drive for such a filename fails to find
it.

I am keen to understand where it should be located and replace it (what
package should it be in?), because I have had a new fault for a few
days.  When I end my current session, instead of seeing kdm's login
screen I just have a completely blue background.  Even worse than that
Ctrl-Alt-F1 does not bring up the console but a blank grey screen

The only way to do anything is to ctrl-alt-backspace followed by
ctrl-alt-del which reboots the machine

I suspect some combination of xorg-xserver and my i810 video not
working, but before submitting a bug report I just want to rule out a
kdm problem.

Can someone explain to me where I should find this background file and
what package it should be in, so I can restore it.

Thanks

--
Alan Chandler
http://www.chandlerfamily.org.uk