Interaction between HAL and KDE

I am trying to set up the udev-hal-dbus-kde chain so that when I plug in
my usb linked camera with mass storage interface, it pops up digikam.

At the moment, the popup thinks I have plugged in a mass storage device
rather than a camera, so I can't configure it to only offer digikam as
the device.

I have configured udev to recognise the camera and set the partition in
it to /dev/camera.

I have configured hal to recognise the device as a camera (at least some
part of it)

WHat I don't know is how kde works out what the type of device that has
connected it.  It seems to have a mime type parameter in the dialog box
to configure these connections, but I don't know what its expected from
hal.

Can anyone tell me how kde (particularly in Debian) manages this.

TIA
--
Alan Chandler
http://www.chandlerfamily.org.uk