Re: newbe: problem logging in with kdm on etch

On Thu, Apr 27, 2006 at 08:29:17PM -0400, D. Michael 'Silvan' McIntyre wrote:
> On Wednesday 26 April 2006 7:45 pm, you wrote:
>
> > Apr 26 15:55:15 localhost kdm_greet[6781]: Can't open default user face
>
> That's probably not it.
>
> Look in ~/.xsession-errors, I think.  You should see why it's crapping out.
>
> I went through something like this awhile back, and that is where I found my
> clue.  I don't remember what the trouble was, but if I logged into the
> console and did startx, everything was dandy, but if I tried to log in via
> KDM, it would immediately dump me back to the KDM screen.
>
> It was some config problem or other.

You are absolutely correct.  The problem turned out to be some kind of
screwup when the x11-common package was upgraded -- it was told to leave
the old Xsession and Xsession.option files alone, but it deleted them
instead and didn't bother to put the new ones in their place.  Ah well,
etch is not released yet, so I guess I should expect some problems here
and there.

Thanks for the reply.

Cheers,